“Abbey of St. George – Established by the Benedictines, the abbey was first mentioned in 1166 in documents describing the consecration of the new, second Romanesque church of St. Tryphon in Kotor. The occasion was attended by, among others, Ivan, the abbot of St. George. However, in studying various ornamentation on this structure, it can be concluded that the abbey was already in use by the Benedictines as early as the 9th century. Except for certain details, the appearance of the old church has not been preserved. The island was constantly under attack both by invaders and earthquakes, especially the great earthquake of 1667 when the ceiling and apse collapsed during the Easter service. Following this catastrophe, a simple church was built. Its tombstones contain a unique collection of heraldic emblems from the casadas of Perast. It remained a burial place until 1866, when a new graveyard was built in the northern part of the town. The church once housed paintings dating from 1327 and 1457; the latter painted by Lovro Marinov Dobricevic, a famous painter from Kotor.
The abbey of St. George had been under the jurisdiction of Kotor until 1634 when patronage of the island was transferred to the Senate of Venice. In 1571, the pirate Karadoz burnt down the abbey as well as the whole town. The people of Perast began repairs on the church in 1603. In 1812, for about a year, the abbey was taken over by the French who were later expelled by the inhabitants of Perast from both the Fortress of St. Cross and the abbey. In 1814, the abbey was taken over by the Austrians.” (Fuente del texto y más información en Islands [en línea : enciclopedia] Perast <http://www.perast.com/html-ENGLESKI/islands.html> [consultado el 09/01/2011])
Desde el siguiente enlace podéis acceder a las fotos que realicé en el 2010 en Montenegro:
Otras fotos de Montenegro en este blog.
Fotos del Monasterio de San Jorge (isla) – Perast – Bahía de Kotor – Montenegro
fotos de martin_javier : https://fotosdehoy.wordpress.com
CC martin_javier #2010